Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Vacation Week: Emily

I agree! As soon as the sun peeks out on a regular schedule, my brain takes off. I find myself in my mental happy place all the time, clear until it snows again. Okay, so that might be June, considering that this is Idaho, but I get a couple good mental vacations in there.

I think my very most favorite vacation ever was Hawaii. Sounds cliche, but it's true. I went alone and met up with a friend after a week. A full week on my own in paradise. Really, what's not to love? I explored Honolulu and discovered that the city is different from the other big cities I've visited or lived in. The pace is nice and slow and no one ever made rude gestures or honked at me. Not saying it doesn't ever happen, but it didn't happen to ME. People were smiling, greeting strangers, and generally just loving life. I could do that permanently. Sadly, my wallet tells me differently. In a word, Hawaii is truly paradise. For those who haven't been, put it at the top of the 'places I must visit before I die' list. It's worth every last cent.

I'd also highly recommend Brazil. It's not a super common vacation destination, but wow. I lived there for several months back in 1996 and fell in love with the people, the food, and the culture. It's all worth it.

Another cliche, but Paris. Seriously people, you have to go. It's heaven on earth. I served my mission in Paris and would live there if I could. There's nothing like the little corner patisserie for fresh croissants and baguettes. (Do it in true French style and stick a baguette in your backpack and carry on.) There's nothing like walking down the Champs-Elysees and taking in the sights and sounds of Paris. There's nothing like spending hours in the Louvre and not ever seeing the same thing. Paris is it's own world. After you've given Paris the several months that it needs to really sink in, make your way out into the countryside. More heaven! You can't beat seeing a field of lavender through the train windows and then catching the aroma after you've passed. My dream for retirement is a country cottage in France.

My final must-see destination is Australia/New Zealand. I haven't been yet, but they're high on my list of places to go. Someday, I will get there!

1 comment:

  1. I really want to go to New Zealand one day, too.

    And your description of fields of lavender made me want to buy a ticket for France today!

    ReplyDelete