Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Christmas Music Week: Ally

1) For some reason, I love Harry Connick Jr at Christmas time. He makes me happy. I think it's because my mom used to always play his songs when I was a kid (I think she's got a pretty big crush on him!), and now his voice just says Christmas and fun and excitement to me. I just want to throw a Christmas party and drink lots of hot chocolate and eat Christmas cookies! If you listen to this and you don't smile, I will wonder if you've got some Grinch in you.



2) In terms of Christmas songs that have really touched me, I think automatically of O Holy Night, which can always get my heart pounding. I'm sure most of you won't argue with me on that one. There's also great arrangement of The First Noel with Pachelbel's Canon that I love. But I couldn't find a version of it on youtube that wasn't a bunch of middle schoolers belting it out, so I will spare you the video and let you imagine it in your mind.

But one of my other favorites is Sissel singing "In the Bleak Mid-Winter" with the MoTab. The song is haunting, the lyrics are beautiful.

What can I give Him, poor as I am?
If I were a shepherd, I would bring a lamb;
If I were a Wise Man, I would do my part;
Yet what I can I give Him... give my heart.



3) Christmas music I can't stand? I'm sorry but I absolutely despise "The Twelve Days of Christmas"- it is repetitive and obnoxious and must be destroyed.

And I will never understand the lyrics to "Baby it's cold outside." I once wrote a rant about this on my blog. This is not a healthy relationship- him trying to talk her into staying even though she's nervous about it. And then there's this exchange:
Her: The neighbors might think...
Him: Baby, it's bad out there.
Her: Say, what's in this drink?
And every time I hear it I think it's amazing how they've made date-rape seem so festive.

Merry Christmas listening!

No comments:

Post a Comment