Saturday, September 26, 2009

Oops Week: Ally

Miserable Fail: A Mature Break Up.

It was time to kill off a relationship for good. The awkwardness had already lingered for a while, but we hadn’t faced it head on. And one night I finally decided to just call the boy up and calmly end it. I would talk in my most calm voice, and very maturely ask him to confirm that the relationship was dead so we could get some closure. Very grown up. Very classy. Very respectful and drama-free.

That was the plan.

I called him, and stuck to the plan as well as I could. There was no anger, no tears, no blame. I got off the phone, relieved it was finished. Over! Plus I was so proud of my drama-free maturity.

But as the minutes passed, the relief passed too. I started to go into the process of mourning the loss of the relationship. I started to play it over in my head (as we girls do) and I started to feel a little angry. I needed girl talk. Validation. So I wrote a text to a close girl friend. I expressed anger at him (in not “mature” ways…haha) and I told her how happy I was that the whole thing was finally, FINALLY over and I would never have to deal with him again. I sent off the text and sat down to dinner.

By the time dinner was over, I started to wonder why my friend had not written me back. She is one of those people who always replies super-fast, and I knew she wouldn’t have ignored such an important text from a friend suffering from relationship-anxiety. Maybe she just didn’t get the message. So I picked up my phone to check and see if the text had been sent off okay. Went I went into my “Sent Messages”, my heart stopped. It literally stopped. My throat swelled up. My eyes went blurry.

I had sent the message to the BOY by accident. Yes, the boy I had been so careful to be mature and calm towards, had received my angry-rant of a message.

I started laugh/crying and didn’t stop all night. A part of me was humiliated. But there was another part of me, deep down inside, was highly amused.

And I learned my lesson. No texting while in an emotional state. Words to live by, girls.

5 comments:

  1. See, stories like this freak me out from texting too much. Oh well, at least he knew how you really felt, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, a part of me was really pleased that I had given him a piece of my mind. Subconsciously.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ahahahahaaha...hahahahahahahahahah..hahahahah. O man I will never get over that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh! Did you ever have to be in the same room with him again? Did he text back? Gaaahhh!! I'm horrified, and laugh-snorting simultaneously!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohhh yes. He called me and INSISTED on taking me to lunch to clear the air. Longest lunch of my life.

    ReplyDelete