Monday, February 1, 2010

Food Network/Cookbook week: Ally again

Yeah, I'm posting again. Because I want to. A new topic will be here soon, but first I need to get the Food Network out of my system. Does anyone out there like these guys?

It's the Neely's! Some people say that they are obnoxious but I love-love them! I love how they talk about food- you can tell it's a true passion for them. And I love how they talk to each other, too. If they ever got divorced I think I would be devastated! Haha I really need a life.

I have gotten some great recipes from them too. They have a great Alfredo recipe with bacon and a little bit of lemon which is deliciouso. They also have a trademark bbq sauce recipe that I haven't tried yet but I've heard is amazing.

On the last episode I saw of them, they made something that husband & I were salivating over. It's a Cookies N Cream Cake! It looks like a little bit of work (in comparison to a boxed cake haha) so I would make it for something special- maybe a birthday. Mmmm look so good.

Neely's Cookies and Cream Cake

Recipe courtesy The Neelys

Prep Time:
15 min
Inactive Prep Time:
20 min
Cook Time:
35 min
Level:
Easy
Serves:
8 servings

Ingredients

  • Cooking spray
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for pans
  • 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
  • 2 cups granulated sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 3 large eggs, plus 1 egg yolk
  • 1 cup unsalted butter, melted
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • 1 1/2 cups finely crumbled chocolate sandwich cookies
  • Cookies and Cream Cheese Icing, recipe follows

Directions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Spray 2 (9-inch) cake pans with cooking spray and dust with flour.

In a large bowl, using a hand-held mixer, combine the flour, cocoa, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add the eggs and egg yolk, 1 at a time, and beat until well mixed, then add in the melted butter and combine. Next, add the buttermilk and beat until smooth, about 2 to 3 minutes. Add in the crumbled cookies and beat until incorporated.

Pour the batter evenly into the cake pans and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean, about 30 to 35 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool, on a rack, in the pans for 5 minutes. Turn the cakes out onto a rack and let cool completely. Frost with Cookies and Cream Cheese Icing and serve.

Cookies and Cream Cheese Icing:

  • 1 stick butter, softened
  • 2 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
  • 1 pinch salt
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 3 3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
  • 1 1/2 cups finely crumbled chocolate sandwich cookies

In a large bowl with an electric mixer, blend the butter and cream cheese until smooth, about 3 minutes. Add the salt and vanilla. Add in the confectioners' sugar, 1/2 cup at a time, until smooth. Beat in the crumbled cookies. Frost the chocolate cookie cake when the cake has cooled.

No comments:

Post a Comment