Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Bad Date Hall of Fame: Ally


My worst date was also one of my first dates- I think I was barely 16.

It started off on a great foot when the boy called me up on Thursday night and said, "Look, my friends are planning a group date tomorrow and I can't get anyone to go with me. I've called like 3 other girls and they all can't. So, you know, what do you think?"

Being 16, and somewhat stupid, I said, "Sure, I'll go." I hung up the phone and try to ignore the nagging feeling of rage in my soul, and convince myself that maybe that burning was just excitement.

I got all ready for the date the next night. Did my hair, agonized over wardrobe choice, and then the doorbell rang. I answered it, and we walked to the car in my driveway. Instinctively I headed toward the passenger side front door, but I looked in and saw a different guy in the driver seat. No problem, I thought. He was probably going to have his date sit in the front with him so I would sit in the backseat with my date. That's when my date said, "Hey, hey, sit in the back okay? I'm sitting in the front."

So I climbed into the backseat. And the two boys sat in the front. Eventually we picked up the other boy's equally confused date, and the two of us girls sat in the back in silence while the boys talked only to themselves.

Once we got to the restaurant the boys met up with a bunch more of their guy friends while all the girls (who didn't know each other) sat in awkwardness. My date turned to me at one point and said, "Hey, I only have 15 bucks so don't get anything expensive okay? And no sodas. Just water." That was probably the only direct sentence he said to me all night. Classy.

Once dinner was over the boys took us on the next part of the date, which ended up being ice-blocking at a park. You know, you sit on a big block of ice and slide down the hill. Except the boys had forgotten towels to sit on top of the ice, so we had to sit our bottoms directly on the giant block of ice which left everyone looking like they'd wet their pants. Also, several of the girls, myself included, were wearing skirts. And its very difficult to straddle a block of ice in a skirt. Trust me. (So much for the carefully selected wardrobe choice.) But I tried to be a good sport and participate. Soon the iceblocks got all muddy and grass covered, which left my skirt with some intense, unpleasant-looking stains.

Then, several of the boys rejoiced to see, across the park, a bunch of their OTHER friends from their highschool (which I did not attend.). They met up with their friends, which included a girl who my date was apparently interested in, because he ditched me.

He left me sitting on a stupid block of ice in a skirt- freezing, muddy, and still hungry from my not-too-expensive dinner.

A few other girls from the original date found themselves ditched too. Eventually one of the boys(not my date) felt guilty and offered to give us a ride home. So I squished into a backseat of his crappy van with about 4 other girls and waited for the whole thing to be over.Eventually, we got to my house and I got out of the car. The charming young man yelled, "See ya! Oh and hey, your butt's all wet! I hope that didn't get on the seat of my car!"

After that experience, it's a miracle that I ever went on a date again. Man, just telling this story makes me realize how much I love my husband...! :)

Honorable mention horrible date: the one where my date took me to a fast food restaurant and then made fun of a Down's Syndrome child who was eating with his parents there. That's a winner.

1 comment:

  1. Wow. You deserve a stellar husband after living through that! :)

    ReplyDelete