Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Bad Date Hall of Fame: Brittany

My First High School Dance:
Every girl looks forward to the year she turns that magical age of 16 where she earns the Double D's. No, not in her bra size. Dating and Driving. I looked forward to my first high school dance since I was in jr. high. The thought of dressing up, getting a fancy hair do and going out to the ball made me giddy. Turns out, real life is nothing close to the fairy tale I had pictured. When my date came to pick me up, things started out just peachy. We took pictures and did the corsage thing. I went to get my jacket on and he just stood there. No big deal really, but I was used to boys acting like real gentlemen. The whole chivalry thing I had come to expect. My mom said she knew after I left that it wasn't going to be a great date, just from that one little instance.

We get to the restaurant where we met up with a bunch of his senior friends. None of which I knew. I knew "of" this group of kids though. The football players who would usually slough class and go a little further with girls than just kissing. Throughout dinner the guys were all making sexist jokes to each other, while the girls chatted together. I was shy and nervous, so I just ate my dinner and tried not to show how uncomfortable I was. We got to the dance and things started to go better. We took our pictures and had some cookies and started dancing. Things were much better now that we weren't forced to make conversation with the other dirty minded boys.

I started having fun and we were laughing. My genius of a date took that as a sign to proceed with his plan (probably something the older boys had suggested I'm guessing) and as we were dancing he moved his hands down below my waist. OK, ummm, no thank you!! Back then, every little thing that went wrong seemed like the end of the world. So I panicked, but just moved his hands back to where they belonged. Well, he did it again and by this point his friends were watching and egging him on. I had a typical girl moment and ran to the bathroom crying to my girlfriends. After 20 minutes I gathered my bearings with the comfort that my friends were going to keep an eye out for me and went back to dance with the kid. But by then he said we were all going to someone's house to watch a movie. Yeah right! Call me stuck up, but I was not going to be forced to sit in some strange dark house with an inappropriate movie on while everyone made out. So I asked him to take me home. All the guys of course were calling me a molly mormon, goody goody. So what if I was? I went to ask my other friends if they could drive me home. It made my date feel guilty so he agreed to take me home.

I was watching the minutes tick by as we rode home in silence. When we got there I had my keys in my hand and my hand on the door handle ready to jump out as soon as he stopped, thinking there was no way he was going to walk me to the door. Wrong! NOW he decides to be a gentleman. Great. Awkward porch moment. So, I said thank you for taking me and politely gave him a quick hug. Whoops, what was I thinking? Of course Mr. Ego is going to take that as a sign that I'm into him, so he pulls me in for a kiss. I don't think so buddy! He had a hold of me and I kind of pushed back reflexively since it took me by surprise. As I did that, he conveniently happened to be standing on the edge of the step, and fell backwards onto the ground. Ha ha!! I'm not really a bully, even if I wanted to plan it, it couldn't have happened any better. I really didn't take the time to celebrate, apologize or even help him up. I just went in an shut the door to the worst date ever!

To make matters even better, the next week my mom got a phone call from his mom saying how bratty I was and that I was ruining her angelic sons reputation. She wanted to have a meeting where I could apologize to him and set his reputation right. Are you kidding me? I don't really remember how my mom handled the situation, but there was no meeting, and obviously I never got those "lovely" dance pictures to document the event in my scrapbook - or even better- to burn!

2 comments:

  1. You've told me a little of this one before, and now that I read it it looks a little like my sister Amy's prom experience. Icky. If I had been on a date like that, I'd stick to being one of the "celestial kids" too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think my favorite part of this story is that his mom called afterward. So awkward. I just love that he went home and was like, "Mooooom, she was mean to meee."

    ReplyDelete