Saturday, November 14, 2009

Baby Week: Melissa

"Not gonna lie, my birth story with Brody was a nightmare, as was my pregnancy with Charlotte. So, unless anyone is morbidly curious, I'll spare you the details. But, because of the length of time and the intensity of the pain killers I had to take after Brody, I don't remember a much of his early months. But, here's a story for you about when Brody started nursery, taken directly from my blog.

Adventures in Nursery

Late Monday evening, we heard a knock on the door. It was our neighbors. They're good friends of ours and its not unusual to chat with them. There was purpose in this visit, beyond idle conversation. The husband (we'll call him Fred) had a story to share with us. As it turns out, he was a sub in nursery the day before. His story unfolds as follows:

"So, usually Brody and I are buds. Yesterday, however, he was my nemesis. And he outsmarted me. I don't know how I feel about being outsmarted by a 2 year old. It all started with story time. He would have nothing to do with it. He wanted the toys and he knew where they were and how to open the cupboard. So, thinking it would deter him from his goal, I placed a chair in front of said cupboard and sat in it. He tried to muscle his way in, but being 1/4 of my size, had no luck. So he went and sat in the corner and stared at me. All of a sudden, this look crossed his face. He jumped up and ran over to the room divider. He snuck through it and waited just on the other side for me to come get him. As soon as I got through, he ran back and tried to move the chair. I got back before he managed it. So back to the corner he went.

Another look spread across its face. This time, he took off the other direction. He turned off the light. He spun around and looked at me, daring me to leave my chair and come turn it back on. I got him that time. Another teacher turned the light back on. Back to the corner.

He sat there a few minutes longer this time. Again, that same look spread across his face. He took off towards the divider. I was ready this time. As it turns out, it wasn't the divider he was after. It was the window. In one swift motion, he popped the screen out and spun around to look at me. I could see him thinking "I got you now. This one will take longer to fix."

He was right. It did. And he got back to the chair. He won that war. I've never met a smarter toddler.

So, my toddler schemes. And does it well, apparently. "

No comments:

Post a Comment