Friday, November 6, 2009

Book Week: Stefany

"1. The last book I read that I totally loved was, um, let me see, I don't know! It has been too long since I read a really good book, and I don't remember the order of the last few I read that I loved. I re-read Pride and Prejudice not long ago, and I really love that, along with all of Jane Austin's books. I also really loved everything that Gail Carson Levine ever wrote. One book I haven't seen mentioned yet that I love is My Antonia, by Willa Cather. I couldn't resist a pioneer story about a second-generation Bohemian girl, as it gave me a glimpse into my ancestors' lives.

2. The Secret Garden, by Frances Hodgsen Burnett, was a favorite book of mine as a youth. As I read it again a few months ago, I realized what a gem it really is. The story follows Mary, who is orphaned and sent to live with an unknown uncle in England. There, she finds healing through learning to do for herself, free time in the great outdoors, the love of a neighboring family, manual labor, and helping her cousin, who needs healing even more than she. Plus, it has a plot that will keep you guessing throughout the story. Other favorites were the "Shoes" books. Tennis Shoes, Dancing Shoes and Theater Shoes by Noel Streatfield were very influential in my life.

3. Everyone ought to read The Christmas Box, by Richard Paul Evans. Not only should they read this before they die, but when they are in their 20s or 30s. It is so motivating, and puts what is valuable into perspective."

No comments:

Post a Comment