Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Book Week: Courtney

"1) The last book I read and totally loved is A Homemade Life by Molly Wizenberg. It's a food memoir, so it's little stories connected to recipes. I absolutely devoured it this summer. If you like to cook, you absolutely have to read this book. I'll admit to being a little obsessed with it. After I finished, I took post-its to mark each recipe I wanted to try and ended up marking nearly every page.
2) My favorite children's book is Olivia by Ian Falconer. It is so clever and understated-- the words say so much by saying so little, and that takes true talent. And the illustrations are brilliant. My 18-month-old daughter's favorite children's books are Barnyard Dance, But Not the Hippopotamus, and The Bellybutton Book by Sandra Boynton.3) This is a really hard one-- I have so many books that I absolutely love. I am all about postmodern lit, which isn't everyone's style, and it can be a little edgy, let's say. So, if you know you like postmodern stuff, you absolutely must read Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer. It literally made me laugh out loud and made me cry deep, body-shaking sobs. Regardless of what kind of literature you're into, I think anyone would love The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan. And I'll just plug a couple more favorite because I feel like I can't leave them out: Cry the Beloved Country by Alan Paton, Unaccustomed Earth by Jhumpa Lahiri, and In the Time of the Butterflies by Julia Alvarez should also make your list."

2 comments: