Thursday, November 5, 2009

Book Week: Jessica

"1. The last book I read was “The Christmas Carol”, by Charles Dickens. It was good, but I had a hard time not picturing Mickey Mouse the whole time. I can’t say I loved it, though. I know, blasphemy, but I just don’t like reading Charles Dickens. One book I’ve recently read the surprise me was “The Poisonwood Bible” by Barbara Kingsolver. I find some books move well, and I want to keep turning pages. Some books take me away to another land, and are an escape. And, some books make me really think about life, and reflect on things. This one was all three, which is a rare find. I would say that it is not a comfortable read, by any means. But, it was enjoyable. I will warn you, though, my bookclub friends often tease me about liking uncomfortable books. I love Chaim Potok (The Chosen, My Name is Asher Lev), Nathaniel Hawthorne (particularly The Blithedale Romance), Orson Scott Card (Enchantment, The Women in the Bible series, and, of course, Ender’s Game and series) and other somewhat uncomfortable authors. I like the meaty ones, the ones that leave you a different person than when you came to it. I like the ones that stretch you, and make you a little uncomfortable as you reflect on your own life.

2. I love, love, love reading Young Adult books. I love Gail Carson (Ella Enchanted, Fairest). I like the twist she puts on fairy tales. I really don’t like the Disney Princess ideology that floats around, so I enjoy seeing an author make those stories with some real meaning to them. I love Lois Lowry (The Giver, and others in that series), Cornelia Funke (Inkheart, which I still need to read the rest of that series), Madeleine L’Engle (A Wrinkle in Time, A Ring of Endless Light), too. But, The Chronicles of Narnia (CS Lewis) are, IMO, the best children’s literature ever written. As for the younger group, I love, love, love the books “Barnyard Boogie” and “Jungle Beat”. They are so fun to read to the kids. They have a rhythm to them, which the kids love and is good for their brains. They also contain a good lesson about individuality. We have worn both of ours out, being read at bedtime. .

3. I don’t have one book that everyone should read (unless you count the scriptures). I do think there are particular authors that stand above the rest that I think everyone should read something from. Shakespeare, and his language, can form the gap that exists between our current English and the language the Bible is written in. I believe that those who learn to understand Shakespeare will better understand the Bible. CS Lewis was an inspired man, and wrote many amazing works related to religion and humanity. One of this lesser-known books is “’Till we have faces”, which I think was a great work. Chaim Potok, already listed as one of my favorites, is another one that I think people should experience. He really dives into some big topics. Those are three authors (Shakespeare, Lewis, Potok) I would say everyone should be familiar with.

I’ve had to go back, and keep adding more books. I should stop now. I didn’t even start on Early American authors (Thoreau, Emerson), or the great poets (Wordsworth, Tennyson), or religious writings (Talmage, Maxwell). Really, I’ll stop now."

1 comment:

  1. I had the same thing happen to me when I read 'A Christmas Carol'. I couldn't concentrate on the story because I kept hearing Mickey Mouse. Just thought I would let you know that you aren't the only one!

    ReplyDelete