Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Book Week: Nancy

"I LOVE books.

No, seriously, more than you do. This is a contest and I win.

OK, maybe I'm coming on a little strong. But really, my favorite job ever was elementary school librarian. I loved it because I got to read stories out loud every day, and talk about books with the smart kids and reccommend books and discuss literature with teachers and help with book reports and teach about literary things like authors and perspectives and plot schemes. And some of the kids would actually come hang out in my library at recess and we would laugh and joke and read and now some of them are even my facebook friends and we still talk about books and life and lessons about life from books, only now I am just Nancy and they are just my friends. Because pretty much all of my friends have one thing in common. Books.

But I digress. I love books. And some great books have been mentioned already. I could go on and on about the merits of Chaim Potok and the Inkheart series. (and frankly I'm surprised Harry Potter hasn't been mentioned, considering all the JK Rowling did for literature, even if you don't like the books, she made it cool to read again!) and Anne of Green Gables: *sigh* was there ever a truer man than Gilbert Blythe? But let me present a few others for your consideration as well.

The last book I read (other than textbooks and scriptures) was a childhood favorite that is now out of print, but I treated myself to it when I found it used on amazon for $2. It's called "Wild Violets" and its a lovely little chapter book about a girl growing up during World War 2, here in America. It's just a sweet story, not profound or life altering, but it has its moments of tragedy and humor and the main character is beautifully written. It's like the author could see inside the mind of a 4th grader. Reading it makes me remember when I thought that way and I am in awe of authors who are able to give us those kinds of glimpses. If you want to borrow it, you are welcome to, but I must have it back.

You simply can not ask a librarian to narrow down a favorite children's book. I would simply start by pointing you towards the caldecotts and newberrys. (Have you read them since you graduated from elementary school? They choose new ones each year, and JK Rowling has raised the bar for book publishing, so I swear they are getting better and better. Like this year's Newberry, the Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman. Fantastic.) But the Newberry's are limited to American literature, so then we have to talk authors like Funke and St Exupery and ...oh I could just keep going, but I won't. I will narrow it down by topic.

And may I preface this by admonishing you all: NEVER JUDGE A BOOK BY ITS MOVIE. Movies are a shameful thing to do to good books. Honestly, a producer rapes great literature in order to change it into a movie. They alter the plot, diminish the complexity of the characters, and turn profound lessons into commercial proverbs, one liners that appeal to the mind of the mindless.

The Tale of Despereaux. I have actually forced several people to read this book. I feel that strongly about it. In fact, I own no less than 3 copies so that I can always be ready to lend it out. Its about a mouse who saves a princess because he loves her. And it is beautiful. Peter Pan. I know you grew up on the cartoon or the musical or both, and I was frankly never interested in reading it until I had to for a show, but I learned my lesson very quickly. There is a reason this has been done again and again, there is a reason for the cartoon and the spin-off and the other spin off and there is a reason for all the setting of it. Its more than a good story and its more than well written. And the older I get, the more I understand it.

Tacky the Penguin (well, anything by Helen Lester). These are my favorite picture books. I feel a great kinship with Tacky, who grew up in a nice icy land with his friends Goodly, Lovely, Angel, Neatly, and Perfect. (Seriously, you could simply put my siblings names instead and the story would make just as much sense. :) But Tacky, who has a wonderful knack for screwing everything up, always manges to make things right in the end, and the books simply teach us to not judge too harshly, after all, Tacky is an odd bird, but a nice bird to have around. Helen Lester's other picture books are just as fun,and the are all brilliant for read-aloud, with voices and accents and sidekick puppets for commentary if you so choose, particularly "Hooway for Wodney Wat" and "Princess Penelope's Parrot" I've had more than one grown up request a re-read of these as well, in fact I've even found myself performing them at facutly meetings from time to time.Oh that pesky final question, its a tough one. What book should be on everyone's list to read before they die? I honestly can't say. I have recommended enough books to enough people, I know nothing is for everyone. I had a 6th grader hate Tolkien and love Dumas, I had a roommate who hated Rowling but loved Locke and Rousseau. I even have dear friends that I love and respect who read the Twilight books which I personally can't stand. I pride myself on being able to recommend books for most people, and I will admit that my own biases come into it, and I hope people agree with me, but in the end, I know exactly what I really hope. I hope every one of them finds a book that they love. Honestly, there probably isn't one book that everyone should read before they die, but there has just got to be a book for each person. Whether or not you love fantasy or historical fiction or adventure and mystery or biographies, you should love something. I'm not sad if someone hates my favorite book, I'm just sad if someone hates reading. Just find a book that you love, one that changes you a little every time you read it, or that reminds you of better times, or that brings you hope for better times, and love reading it. Find a book that opens your mind and recognize its vallue for simply that. Or find a book that makes you angry, and figure out why, and love the lessons you take from it. Find a book that echoes and confirms the things you already believe in your heart, or find a book that tears down your pre-conceived notions. There are so many books out there, whoever you are and whatever you do, there will be at least one that speaks to you. So go out and find it. I won't tell you which book you must read before you die, I will simply say you must read before you die. If you are one of us that loves books, you are one of the lucky ones. If not, I hope you will find something that speaks to your heart and become an old friend, even if its just one book that you read once and take with you for the rest of your life."

2 comments:

  1. Nancy, I believe you when you say you love books more than I do. I was always ashamed to admit I was an English Major in your presence. You could have been the next Lavare Burton if they hadn't discontinued that show. What a sad day for television!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was truly captured the whole time I was reading Nancy's post. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete