Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Crush Week: Ally

How I went from Mr. Darcy to a cowboy.

If you knew me in middle school you knew about my feelings for Mr. Darcy. They were pretty intense. This was the ideal man.

Handsome and refined. You feel like if you married him you would spend your evenings discussing literature in the parlor while dinning on pheasant and creme brulee. Or something. And isn't that every girls dream? Then one day, while watching Indiana Jones, I found myself intrigued by this:

Dr Jones! Not Indiana, but Dr. Jones the professor. Still handsome and refined and intellectual in a way that makes you want to write "I love you" on your eyelids like that girl in his class. Still a creme brulee man. But there is something a little different from Mr. Darcy here- the tiniest hint of ruggedness. Maybe THIS was the ideal man. And then one day suddenly I found myself thinking, "Oh what the heck! If I'm going like Indiana Jones I might as well go for the real deal!"

A-ha! Definitely not a creme brulee man, but who cares?! He is rugged, handsome, and wears a hat. You might not sit in the parlor dinning on pheasant, but who needs that when you are married to a guy in a hat.

Some people were suprised when I married a cowboy. I was a little surprised myself. He wouldn't be caught dead in a ruffly Mr. Darcy shirt. But, taking this little walk down old-crush lane has made it clear to me. I now realize it's all about the hat.


3 comments:

  1. Mr Darcy and Indiana are the two extremes, aren't they? I'm glad you showed us their commonalities here. Now it all makes sense. and now I have a serious hankering for a little Last Crusade action

    ReplyDelete
  2. Last Crusade is all well and good, but I prefer Indy in Raiders of the Lost Ark. Lets watch both. Just for comparison's sake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like a marvelous plan. Can we throw in the funny jungle scene from temple of doom while we are at it? I don't like the heart ripping out stuff, but I love when they are playing cards and all the animals are jumping out at the token pretty girl...

    My roommates and I were in Student Leadership at BYU, and we planned and received approval for an all night indiana jones marathon in the wilkinson center. It was the most successful fundraising activity Student leadership ever did. And we ended up with all the harrison ford paraphenalia afterwards. Coolest apartment ever

    ReplyDelete