Saturday, October 17, 2009

Crush Week: Nancy Beth (With bonus "Oops" combo)

"I wasn't really going to say anything for crush week, partly because I don't think that my middle school crushes were all that spectacular and partly because I am still traumatized by the fact that my younger sister would seek out my journal, scour it for crush info, and then publicize it so that there was no hope for me regaining any social face. That's OK, I suppose, while I have managed to forgive little sisters for acting like little sisters, I still haven't figured out quite how to recover emotionally. As it is, to this day I can't even admit a crush to myself for fear that I will discover it and leak the information to an untrustworthy source (those journals were supposed to hold my secrets, not reveal them!) I can admit to having a particular affinity for one "Andy Frasier" as an elementary schooler, and I was convinced that the way to win him was to become famous. When my family moved away I was 8 and had not yet attained to the fame that would slay the hearts of the men in my 2nd grade class. But Andy and I did make a promise, in the red tunnel in the playground, (you know, the one nobody went in because it meant you loved each other?) that one day when I became famous and he became a plumber (or some other romantic and stable profession) that we would find one another and get married and have lots of babies. I suppose I am still betrothed to him.

And now that I am becoming famous...

OK, not really, but I am singing professionally, and that's sort of a start, right?

Right. And singing in the opera could have it's crush advantages if most of the men weren't gay. Which brings me to my current crush story. (Don't worry, Don't judge, Just read on.)

You see, I tend to make friends with gay men. And there are a few that I have become close to in this show, and one in particular that is a friendship I am sure will continue after the show is wrapped up. We goof around in the fun flirting way that is so great between a gay man and a straight woman, and occasionally as a greeting or as a goodnight we will give each other a little kiss. Yes, on the lips. Theatre people and gay people and even sometimes close friends just do that.

So the other day I hadn't seen my close friend all day, which is unusual right now, and we were in rehearsal in full costume and makeup and all the women were lining up to go on stage for some scene while all the men were filing off stage at the end of their scene. It was dark backstage, but I thought I recognized my friend, so I reached out as he walked past and gave him a quick kiss before heading for my USL entrance. Of course, you can probably see whats coming. An unfamiliar voice said "Thanks, but what was that for?"

Oops.

Of course, the nice thing is that at this moment I was in costume and wig and it was pretty dark backstage, and being in a theatre tends to make me much more confident and quick on my feet than being my real self.

So I simply said "Oh, I thought you were a different gay guy! Guess you get his luck for the next scene!"

And he said "Actually, I'm a different straight guy, but thanks for the luck!"

And by then I had to make an entrance and he had to move along to the dressing room for a quick change.

I think I am in love.

OK, really its just a crush on the unknown straight guy in a cast of men who tend to be more interested in each other. But in addition to being straight, he sings opera and has quick comebacks to surprising situations like random women grabbing him and kissing him. How can I not love him?

Quick, get me a cast list! Maybe his name is Andy."

I love a man with a witty comeback.

No comments:

Post a Comment