Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Crush Week: Snappy

When I got this story from my mom, I read it out loud to my husband and we laughed all the way through it. Classic.

"I'm not sure how disturbing it will be for you to hear about your mother's middle school dreamboat, but since it was so long ago, you can consider it to be historical fiction. But ...I'm Not Making This UP...I never do. So, I was just trying to get over the cutest of the Monkees (Mikey, was it?), when I noticed Larry at school. Within days, or moments, I determined that he was the one for me. True, we had never had a conversation, but we were sometimes in the same classroom, and that's fate. Clearly.

All the trustworthy girlfriends were soon made aware of my secret love and longing. They promptly told Larry that I was wanting to be kissed. What???? Was I some kind of 13-year-old floozy? Now that my reputation was at stake, I had to speak up and clarify my intentions. The opportunity came at the 8th grade end of the year swim party. He came walking across the lawn, and I stepped off the patio and said , ever so casually, but sincerely, "Sorry my friends keep bugging you about kissing me." And he said, "Well, I never said I wouldn't." And yes, he did!!!!! Then we both ran away (visualize the Napoleon Dynamite slump-run.) And fortunately, there was a long California summer before we had to be in a classroom again. And I don't think there was ever another conversation between us. Now in my old age, I realize it was probably the 2-piece swimsuit I wore. See the evil of a bare midriff???? Let's all try to follow the Prophet henceforth."

Probably my favorite part- the Napoleon Dynamite slump run.

2 comments:

  1. I'm pretty sure that a two piece swimsuit on me would have the opposite effect on the men around me... I suppose its a blessing to not even be tempted, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha Nancy!

    While it definitely makes some good swimwear points, I think the moral of this story is that the best solution to an awkward relationship is just to run, RUN AWAY.

    ReplyDelete