Thursday, October 22, 2009

Wedding Week: Jessica

"I wish I was a more humorous writer, because my wedding had a lot of humor surrounding it. If only it could be made into a movie….

Oh, wait, Have you seen “My Big Fat Greek Wedding”? You know how everything seems to go nuts, and one family has these oddities that makes the whole thing go wacky, and then, at the end, everyone dances in a circle and bride realizes everything is going to be okay? That about sums it up.

I forgot the ring. The bridesmaids dresses ended up at Famous Dave’s. But, hey, that is okay, because the Bridesmaids were either missing in action because the groomsmen decided to just plow one more field because the weather was so nice, or they were puking in garbage cans throughout the church. At one point, on my way to get dolled up for pictures, just before the reception, I was starving (dinner was in the car with the groomsmen who hadn’t yet shown up), and walked by one of my bridesmaids, in jean shorts and a t-shirt, puking. I went and cried to my mom. But, then, my mom told me about her wedding day, and it seemed okay again.

I got all pretty, faced pictures, and then did the tedious and boring reception line. Then, the band that played the night my husband and I first starting falling for each other played. We did our little waltz, and then I mysteriously disappeared. I came back in capris and a white shirt, and we really hit the floor. I love swing dancing, and it was at the heart of our relationship. I wasn’t about to let everyone else have all the fun. We ran out on the dance floor, the guest cleared, and we danced. After that, everyone joined us, and by the end of the night, even my dad was dancing. And, yes, literally, at one point, everyone had joined hands and were dancing in a circle. I realized that my now in-laws may not always be prim and proper, but they knew how to have fun.


Years later, and I completely adore my in-laws. I don’t know if I’ve adopted the quirks, accepted the quirks, or the quirks have gone away. I think it is a little of each. I still feel sad when I remember that my husband’s siblings weren’t at the temple to greet us, and the few pictures we have with the wedding party show some pretty ashen-faced bridesmaids. I laugh, though, when I think of the events, because it is just how our life is- a little crazy, a little unexpected, and everything seems to depend on the weather."

2 comments:

  1. The dancing sounds so fun! I want to see your swing dancing skills sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't forget about how you set the photographer on your poor sister for whom you created a total 16 candles moment. And you had the band play happy birthday to said sister and she was horrified when every one turned to stare at her just standing there because she didn't have a date to come dance with her...

    just saying, some details are important.

    ReplyDelete